Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Can this be January?

We've had some freakishly warm days here.

Here are my legs on the deck. This was me Saturday. I was enjoying the sun, sitting outside in January without a jacket! 


I had been strategic about it. I made sure to get out to the deck before noon.

Even though our deck is on the south side of the house, the winter sun doesn't feel warm out there for very long. If you want to feel the sun's rays penetrating your skin and blasting you with actual heat, you have to get out there while it's still morning. By 12:30 or 1:00 the opportunity has already passed. The sun has moved off and you find yourself needing a sweater, and thinking you'd kind of like to go back inside.

 I had learned this the hard way, the previous weekend, when our dreadful cold snap had finally given way to temps in the 50's. The sun on the deck looked inviting, but by the time I made it out there, it lacked any power to warm me. So this past weekend, when the Saturday forecast showed a cartoon sun, smiling and wearing sunglasses, I got out a piece of paper, and wrote down the following  schedule for myself:

 11:00 am to 1:00 pm----Sun Time.

Everything else would have to be planned around that.





2 comments: