Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Gladiator Inspired

Zliten mosaic from Libya circa the 2nd century. Note the footwear.



I was browsing the Payless Shoes website when I saw that one of the menu choices for sandals said "Gladiator Inspired." What?? What the heck was that? I clicked and found various arena-ready styles like the ones below:




This Spartacus trend is old news. Apparently it was a big hit last spring, and somehow I missed it. I don't know if I'll buy a pair this year, or just stick with my old flip flops. But now I know I can walk into a store asking for "gladiator shoes", and the sales clerk won't look at me funny.






8 comments:

  1. Funny. These were popular in the 90s too. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. okay,,maybe if you're 20,,these shoes MIGHT look cute on you. but, boy howdy could you make a HUGE fashion mistake if you didn't pair the right outfit with em. what DOES one wear with glad sandals? a short toga, perhaps? very happy to have missed the whole phenomena,,even back in the 90's. make feet look big and clunky.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look like something a mean old nun might wear in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You guys are cracking me up. Marc, your comment is priceless. And I can totally see it. Sue, I feel the same way. I think those sandals would make my legs look short and clunky. I think you'd have to have some nice gams --bare gams --muscular bare gams, like the gladiators--to pull these off.

    ReplyDelete
  5. marc, you hit the nail on the gladiator sandal head! so funny, your comment. and i can just picture sister mary florentine sporting something like that. thanks for that mental image!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sister Mary Florentine?! If that's not the most idyllic nun name...Perfect. Freethehumanbeings, did you know her?

    ReplyDelete
  7. No, she was before my time. I had Sister Marina, who was a sweetheart (and insisted on taking off her veil and also played acoustic guitar.) And I had Sister Bridget, who was mean and abusive and sarcastic and ill-tempered and made my life a living hell in 3rd AND 4th grade. Yeah, I had two years of hell in a row. And when I switched to public school in 5th grade, the change in atmosphere of the school was palpable. I intuitively sensed that the adults were more reasonable, and my teacher Mrs. Simpson was pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I love Sister Marina! I'm getting a wonderful vision!

    ReplyDelete