Wednesday, November 30, 2011

No More NaNoRiMo

Today is the official last day of the November challenge NaNoRiMo or, National Novel Writing Month, in which  you attempt to write a 50,000 word novel. I guess they're having a big hoo-dang at the Writer's Place tonight to celebrate.

So how did I do? Not too awful bad. I got up to 33,000 and some words. Driving to Pennsylvania and back for Thanksgiving certainly put a cramp in my style. I was not so devoted to my NaNoRiMo project that I was willing to sequester myself in the bedroom and have people shove me turkey and dressing through a slot in the door.

So, after 30 days, do I have anything resembling a novel? Not so much. What I have now are a bunch of scraps of writing that are akin to cloth pieces scattered all over the floor that someone with a lot of patience and imagination might be able to sew together into one big quilt. Someone who could force some kind of pattern and design onto the thing. But I did get a lot of good ideas, that I'm eager to exploit.

I'm not so sure I want to write a novel anyway. I'm envisioning more a collection of stories--related, with re-occurring characters. So that's where I'm going to take this project next.

5 comments:

  1. i look forward to reading your "crazy quilt" collection! keep writing,,and share something soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. um.. i look forward to your epic novel starring ME ME ME as the central character. come on mony. write me a book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Must have extraterrestrials into big sellers! For small fee I am interviewed in your leisure suit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way Out There Space Alien,

    Some times you leave me not knowing what I can possibly say in response!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Simone unit, earth human term of the Americas is speechless. This am learning.

    ReplyDelete