Friday, April 15, 2011

This Is All I Want To Know

There once was a screenwriter in Hollywood named Vincent Lawrence who worked on lots of movies with big names stars such as Clark Gable, Betty Grable, Gary Cooper, Spencer Tracy and Kathryn Hepburn. It is said his own everyday way of talking was as interesting as the lines he wrote for his movie characters.

If you were in a bar and you offered him a drink he'd say, "Tell me this, pal, why isn't everybody sitting on a fence in the moonlight playing a banjo? That's all I want to know." *

Yes, exactly. There you have it. The The sum of all my existenstial questions.


*As reported in the March 28th issue of the New Yorker.

    

2 comments:

  1. A disturbing image, that. I don't know the answer, but I'm thankful they don't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha - funny. I hadn't looked at it as a bad thing, but now that you put it that way, it is a disturbing thought! There are certain people who have no business --you would not want to see them out in the moonlight playing a banjo.

    ReplyDelete