August is the Month of Lengthening Shadows
August 7, 2011 Email from mom
Subject: Heat easing?
Well, the high today was 98.
This evening it turned cloudy and down to 80 by sundown. Quite an improvement. It helps, now that the days are getting
shorter. You know I used to call August,
the month of lengthening shadows. To me it means that the sun isn't bearing
down so many hours and there's more shade. We are promised more chance for rain
this week. ncmom
Michele reply:
Mom, there is no "used to" about it, you say this
every year! And before you even say it, every
August I remember you saying it and am waiting to hear when you will say it
again. Be assured mom, that all of your children will always think of August as
the month of lengthening shadows, as declared by you. You have put your imprint
on the month of August! I need to come up with one of these sayings.
Suzanne reply:
I always thought September was the month of lengthening
shadows. Oh my, I have been so wrong for lo these many years! Actually, mom, I was riding my golf cart one day last week on
fripp and noticed that the light IS already a wee bit different now. Those shadows can't come too soon for me! Ii
am so looking forward to october!!!!!!!!! (yeah, laura,,,I just had to use the
exclamation mark for that one)
August 5, 2012 Email
from mom
Subject: A word from
Ness City
We had rain. and so far two glorious summer days. The temp today, low 90's and a beautiful
evening. You know, like I always said, "August is the month of lengthening
shadows" The days are shorter and evenings cooler. I spent this evening
sitting out with Rosalinda and Martina Holmes. On three consecutive weekends,
Ness City is the host for ball tournaments, in our beautiful ampitheater ball
park. This weekend there was one
sponsored by Sacred Heart School. The
teams come from all over and the crowds are phenomenal. All I did was cruise by. Next weekend, there will be one for young
adults, men and women. I may have to
check that one out.
How can you keep a pantry with seven mouths to feed.? ncmom
Suzanne reply:
Well, heck, I thought that September was the month of
lengthening shadows. Glad to hear your days are just a tiny bit cooler now,
mom. What makes those temps a little more bearable are the cooler evenings, for
sure. I remember stepping on a sidewalk long after the sun had gone down,
though, and that pavement still radiating heat! Here...90's in the day, 80 at night. so not much cooling. And it's so humid,
that's what makes it misery here. As for a pantry. I guess you answered my
question, mom. No, it would be difficult indeed to keep a pantry stocked with
so many mouths to feed.
My reply:
Well mom, I have been thinking all weekend that MOM IS
RIGHT! The weather has been so much
better--dramatically changing in just the last few days. It's pleasant now at
night, and this morning I swear there
was a cool breeze. I could feel fall in the air. So I'm a believer!
Suzanne reply:
Well, down here in the steamy, swampy, south, we are NOT believers, and we are NOT deceived by the mere word "September"! Not this year, by gosh. Every year we look longingly forward to September as being some magical turning point in our long hot summer,,but NO! September arrives like some trashy streetwalker, more sultry and dirty than the three months before her. Hah! I'll not fall for that again.
Michele reply:
Hey, you insulted my favorite month!!! Like a trashy streetwalker??!!! Sometimes September is the only summer we
get. However, Seattle DID have summer
this past weekend. Woohoo!!! It was hot
and the skies were blue. The Blue Angels
had the perfect template for their show, hundreds of boats were on Lake
Washington and the crowds on the shores were insane -- sun worshippers who never
get to see the sun were finally having a day.
My neighbor was improvising a sprinkler with her garden hose, spraying
her delighted 3-year-old -- that was fun to see because, believe me, it isn't
often that anyone in Seattle is hot enough to want to play in the water. It cooled off in the evening but my room
upstairs did not, so I stayed on the couch until the early hours of the
morning. Now we are back to clouds. I
think it may be around 80 today. Sorry
you all are suffering such miserable heat.
Suzanne reply:
Sorry...i'm trying reaaallllly hard to be happy for you
mich. I do remember that time we came to visit, and it was in September, and
the days were glorious,,the evenings cool.
Chilly, even. I'll go to my "happy" place in my mind...perhaps
it's seattle.
Aug 18, 2013 Email from mom
Subject: August--the
month of lengthening shadows
My favorite month-- for starters! These past few weeks have been rare indeed. Too much rain in eastern Kansas, but what
we've had has just transformed this desert into an Eden. I have not used the
A/C for days. And by now, the flowers
around town are hanging over the side of their pots and just magnificent. I have one large pot of petunias south of the
house that I started from seed. Then geraniums are outdoing themselves on the
front porch. It's amazing what a little rain and cooler weather can do. Just
had to share. ncmom
Suzanne's reply:
Wha??? okay, now i am confused. I thought september was the
month of lengthening shadows! Every year
it gets earlier for you, mom.
Anyway,,August...NOT my favorite month.
But more about that later. Yes,
it is truly inspiring what rain does for green life in general. All that nitrogen. So happy to read that ness
city is blooming wonderful!
My reply:
Yes, mom, I was amazed at how GREEN everything was when we
were out there. Normally by this time of the summer I am grateful for those
lengthening shadows, grateful for a sign that relief from the heat is on the
horizon, but we've had so much cool and rainy weather, I'm not feeling ready
for summer to go yet at all. Guess it's supposed to get hot this week. I
welcome it --but Sue, I feel for you. Hope you get some relief soon.
October 12, 2015 Email from Michele
Subject: Re: Your blog
Mom, there was something she missed and I was going to
remind her, but then I couldn't think of the exact words you use. Every August, I depend on you to remark at
least one about how it is the month of lengthening shadows, or something like
that. Can you tell us what it is you
say, so we can have it for all posterity?
(Mom's reply missing from my email)
Sept 16, 2017 Email from Mom
Subject: A Grand Finale
I hope the past few days are an end to the 90 plus
temps. No time to read e-mails now. ncmom
Michele reply:
Mom, I was waiting for you to say the thing you used to say
every year: "August is the month of lengthening shadows". Did you say that to anyone? I was waiting and
waiting, and then August was over and I don't think you said it.


Comments
Post a Comment