Friday, August 6, 2010

Doggie Gone It

This morning before work I had to drop our pooch off at Camp Bow Wow for boarding, because my plane for Vermont leaves tomorrow at 6:00 am, and there is not enough time to drive her down to Olathe after work tonight.

Cheri was excited about seeing the people there, but when the owner tried to lead her through the partition into the doggie area, she balked. She braced herself and refused to budge. When I tried to pick her up, she lay down. The owner coaxed her and sweet-talked her, but she just lay there inert. We finally had to slide her across the floor through the partition.

Poor thing! I felt bad having to send her off that way. I hope she'll be alright. Will make some doggie friends and not feel too abandoned. She has been to Camp Bow Wow before. She used to love going. I took her a few times last summer, just for the day, and she'd pull eagerly on her leash to get to the front door, and wag her tail like mad when we went inside. Though she is shy around other dogs, and would start out by hiding under the play equipment, the staff reported that after a few hours, she'd warm up and spend the rest of the day playing her little heart out with some puppy or other. But ever since the first time we actually boarded her for the night, she is no longer a fan of the place.

Maybe she'll be too busy to miss us too much. Camp Bow Wow has several indoor and outdoor play areas, where the dogs play and stay active all day. By evening they are pooped, and sleep a lot. Hang in there Cheri, we're coming back! I told her that repeatedly in the car this morning, as we zoomed through rush hour traffic on I-35. I sang her a little song, ","On the seventh day, we will come back for you ....on the seventh day, we will come back for you.....will come back to youuuuu....oooooooo....coming back for you..."

She just stared out the window. It was bad enough that the rest of the family bailed on Monday, leaving me as her only source of attention. But now I was deserting her too. She knew, when she first saw the kids dragging out the suitcases, it would come to this.

7 comments:

  1. suzanne the enviousAugust 6, 2010 at 4:34 PM

    she'll be fine. dammit, simone!!! yet another vacation???? you're beginning to tick me off.....(just kidding.....sorta)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, from now on I'll keep my mouth shut.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, actually, no, I am bound to ramble on about my endless vacations. All I can say is, wish you could join me, my sister.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i was just kidding. i am happy that you are able to ramble endlessly. very jealous you'll be in vermont, where it's bound to be cool and green and lovely. have fun! looking forward to reading all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man, that is hard, I'm going to be leaving my kitties for 8 or 9 days, and I am dreading that aspect of my vacation. I always feel bad for them. And I will be interrupting Sparky's big game hunting -- this is prime cicada season.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Havin' to leave my kitos, and no way to tell them, really. This is the hardest part of my vacation. That and coming back home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's August 14th and I'm just getting back to my blog. Have you left yet, Marc? Soon enough, you'll be home and your kitties will be back to their routine. They'll survive it. They're better off in the long run with a happy Ashokaned owner. Have a great time!!!

    ReplyDelete