Friday, August 14, 2009

Cheeses Of My Life

I have tasted the cheese, er cheeses, of my life –a P’tit Basque and Prince De Claverolle. Both cheeses are French, made from sheep’s milk. Both were a dream with a glass of white wine. My eyes were bugging out, they were so good. Now the filmy wrappers contain just a bit of residue, and they have been discarded. But they are still the cheeses of my life. After tasting French sheep’s milk cheese, how can I e’er go back to cheddar?

I can’t explain it -- I’m giving Frampton Comes Alive! heavy rotation on the cd player. I wanna go to the sun. I don’t know what he means, yet I know exactly what he means. Put me down for one sun trip, dude. The dog knows the cd inside and out. She rides around with me. We steam down the highway while the thunderheads gather and the piano tries to gain dominance over the guitar. Oh the comfort of 70’s rock concerts. Last night it was time for my listening enhancement exercises. For lighting I chose the dark of night. I had no idea that Beck’s Sea Change cd is full of colors and vibrating patterns. I saw them with my own mind’s eyes. It was like a firehose of wonder. I wept. The summer bugs were deafening. It’s like that song, “You’ll never walk alone.” You really won’t, not with that racket all around you. I went inside and licked the last bits of cheese off the plate. I put imaginary flowers in a blue vase. The house was modest, but well-scrubbed. I always liked reading that in books—that something was a bit shabby, but well-scrubbed. Or that the cup was chipped, but was full of gleaming tea. Or the fabric was worn, but had been pressed to look neat. Simple humble things that sound good because someone has tried to get the most out of them. Always milk objects for all their charm if you can. Put them to work for you. It’s easier to do this with old, worn things, as there is no charm in plastic. I really had scrubbed the kitchen floor. Like a crazy woman I scrubbed it. Found out those specks were not part of the original design. So now I could say it. Our place was modest, but well-scrubbed. A good place for thinking. And for indoor picnics with wine and cheese.

10 comments:

  1. i actually have the frampton live album, monie. yep, i am that old. it was a double album, actually. maybe i will send it to you. old vinyl,,but scrubbed clean?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i really like this post, simone. not sure how much wine you had with that cheese,:) but your writing flows so very nicely, and the imagery is crystal clear. i like you best when you write things like this....your life and the people in your life. very true and very you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you very much, Sue. I found this delightful wine I've never had before. It's a combination of reisling and pinot blanc. So it's not too sweet and not too dry. I was having my own party, while the crew was away. A much deserved party, I must say, after scrubbing my ass off and lugging countless boxes of crap up and down and out the door. Yes, I was successful in my attempt to de-clutter the house!!! It took days and days, but I did it! : ) I am so happy with the results. At last, room to breathe. I took a whole carload of things to Goodwill and threw out more besides. I learned a lot about myself in the process. That I attach too much emotional importance to too many things. Some things I'll keep forever, yes. But I can't be attached to EVERY mundane object just because it reminds me of a certain point in time.

    I would be most honored to have your Frampton Live vinyl. However, I think I might already have Laura's copy. I snatched up hers when she moved out and left it behind. And yes, I still have some of my old vinyl. Seems we agree---some things are worth hanging onto. I didn't throw out everything. And letters and cards I've received --I still have them all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. congrats congrats on your de-cluttering! doesn't it feel great to be unbound by things?? it can all be gone in an instant,,so what we have left...family, friends, memories,,those are the important treasures that come to the forefront when we discard the "chaff". hope you enjoy all you have accomplished. it will be a blessing for days, weeks, months to come. p.s...i have OTHER old vinyl you might be interested in. will email you some titles,,see if you would want them. akk...but that's just more stuff!! yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with Sue on this one, I really like this post too! I especially like: "Put me down for one sun trip, dude" and the notion that we will never walk alone due to "all that racket". Love it. I see what you mean about something being worn, yet still "scrubbed clean". I like that. I'm going to add that to my list of mottos. I am worn, but scrubbed clean. Thanks for the lovely trippy post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always do this! I just want to add, that I want to eat those cheeses!! I guess I will have to wait for the "cheeses of [MY] life."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sue, yes, send me your list of album titles. If nothing else, to satisfy my curiousity as to what of your collection has survived this far. Do you still have that Crosby, Stills & Nash album with that song "Dark Star"? I always remember hearing that at your place in Asheville and really liking it.

    Letting go of stuff is very liberating. Let me tell you--I had to push myself sometimes. I had to talk to myself at times like a therapist--"Now why are you holding on to this particular thing? What bad thing is going to happen if you get rid of it?" Sue, one thing that helped me was remembering what you said about how clutter stifles creativity. I believe this is true, and that helped motivate me.

    Andi, glad you find the post trippy. : ) My blog is often too tightass. I'm trying to loosen up. I think that soon I should have you over for some wine and cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tightass blog! Funny! I want to see Sue's list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. uh, yeah, that is exactly what i was thinking as i read this -- as soon as i was gone, my stuff was ANNEXED. at the time, i was clueless - i would come back to find something and it wasnt there. i thought, "Mother has thrown this away!!" little did i know..........................it all started coming together when i found books of mine on your shelves........and in fact, there are a couple of mine on marc's shelves too! yeesh. i moved a mere 25 miles away and my leavings were scattered out among the awaiting dogs....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, you are funny! Scattered out among the waiting dogs. I wondered if you would ever see this. : ) But you know that if Marc and I hadn't rescued your things, Mom would have thrown them out for sure. We were just giving them a second lease on life.

    ReplyDelete