LIGHT/DARK MODE

Cicada-mania!

 

Weee-oh weee-oh weee-oh weee-oh.....one of my favorite summer tunes growing up in western Kansas wasn't on the radio. It was playing outdoors. The distinctive pulse of the cicadas we had out there had an undulating tone that sounded like the beep of a space machine, as if the trees were filled with hovercraft. 

The cicadas we have here on the eastern end of the state are not the same. They generate a raucous buzz that is relentless and deafening, as if a plaque is descending. The volume is impressive, but they only play one note. I miss the musicality of their western cousins. 

I've been searching for an audio sample online of the cicada species in question. The Youtube clip below isn't it. It's only faintly reminiscent. But it'll have to do for now.  It's the first guy singing at about the 35 second mark, courtesy of the University of Illinois. 

I can say with confidence it's a guy, because it's the male cicadas that make all the racket, trying to attract a mate. Well I have to admit, I do find their song pretty beguiling. I guess if I were a girl cicada I'd be fawning all over them. But just the western dudes.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDYO_KGWLqU

    


Comments

Random Old Baloney

Insert whomping good organ music here.

It's Not Just a Physical Thing

Our essence is spirit. Our existence----boundless.

Subscribe to Free The Human Beings

Add to Technorati Favorites

Followers

instagram @monyhere