Friday, June 7, 2013

Ahh, Sedona!

It's been cool and rainy this week, and it makes me long for the sun and aridity of the southwest. I envy my mom and older sister who are out there somewhere, tooling around Zion National Park and Bryce Canyon. I remember with fondness the wedding trip Roger and the girls and I took down there in 2011, and I really wish we could go back.  

I never managed to post all the pictures from our trip, having pooped out after the Turquoise Trail and our wanderings around Madrid, the little art town. Consequently, I have neglected to share photos from some of the most striking locales we saw! Like shots from the Petrified Forest, Sedona, the Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Arches, and Mesa Verde.

So now that it's been two years, (and Michele and Mom are on their way back with photos of their own),  I figure it's high time I share the rest of that spectacular scenery. Or as much of it as I can stand to post before I get sick of it again. I'm not trying to outdo my sister and mother, really I'm not. We didn't go to the same places they did, so their geologic wonders are not our geologic wonders. I am, however, hoping to promote the southwest as a good place for a family reunion.

Henceforth, I'll be devoting upcoming blog posts to the As Yet Unseen Vacation Photos From Our Southwestern Adventure.   

In these first three photos, we are on our way to Sedona. We had been traveling a road with pine trees on both sides, then all of a sudden we were descending into this magnificent kingdom of rock. The road twisted and turned around hairpin curves....   






When we got to Sedona, we were told to go to the Airport road first, where we would get the best view of the entire land.

Here is me, trying to process what I'm seeing. To say it was stunning doesn't begin to describe it. There are no words for vistas like this.  















Annabelle takes in the view.

I can understand why so many spiritual seekers are drawn to Sedona. I can even understand why some people believe the red rocks hold powerful energy vortices. Because the mammoth formations truly seem out of this world. And I myself  did have an unexpected experience. More about that in a later post.

A perfect soundtrack for these images: "Desert song" by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros.

Run to the desert
You will see all that you need to see
Run to the desert
You will be all that you need to be


  

1 comment:

  1. a few words from psalms of praise come to mind, looking at these glorious landscapes. wow! and thank you. looking forward to more!

    ReplyDelete